Menu
Connexion Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
Ramadan meals
M
14 September 2007 13:06
Hi all,

what do you guys eat in Ramadan?? do you cook your own food? do you buy special food from Arab shops? those of you in London (well so far i only know atlasmagic), do you know any Moroccan delicacies shops in London?
For me, i cook a lot in Ramadan. Harira of course is a must, i try to make a portion that lasts for 2 or 3 days, we eat light stuff during the week but the weekend i try to make nice things, tajines, brochettes, that kind of stuff...
Atlasmagic, you mentionned a Moroccan market the other day in Hammersmith, where exactly is it? and what sort of food do you buy from there?
There is no sincerer love than the love of food. George Bernard Shaw
a
14 September 2007 13:39
Minniemouse

Ok, the Market is not a Moroccan one ,its a Farmers Markets with one Moroccan /1 algerian stalls selling Moroccan ready made food

What i eat ,Iftar is lights dattes ,milk ect ,Soup not all the time Harira ,i do not preprare any of most times ,Dinner its normal dinners ,Tagines are on occasions

Places to get food try Queensway a firend has a shop called Andalossia he stocks ,chabakia ,salou ,msamene ,bghrir ............menthe from Morocco ,tea,couscous ,oils ..............thre is a butchers shop too
Also many shops in Ladbroke Grove but you knew that anyway !
M
14 September 2007 23:30
Hey atlas, thanks for the tips! no i didn't know about queensway, i don't know many arab areas in London i've been living here for a year and 1/2 only smiling smiley

Sorry i misunderstood you about the market, so there is only 1 moroccan stall..well, it's still worth visiting especiallly that i work so close, but you still didn't tell me which side of hammersmith it is winking smiley

The only place i know is Maison souss in Shepherds Bush but i think they lost it now. they used to do nice things but i've been yesterday and what i saw didn't impress me at all!

Will definitely look for Andalossia, i'm dying for chebbakia, can't have harira without it!!!!sad smiley
h
15 September 2007 00:07
Ramadan Mubarak
As Atlasmagic mentioned,Latimer Grove (west London) is very good place to buy Chabakia, msaman, baghrir, lhaloua etc.
Assalam
a
15 September 2007 01:18
Minniemouse

sorry i thought i did say before the Farmers Markets is on every Thursday in King's street on the square where the fontain & Pret a manger is ,the Moroccan guys sell ready made food , i do also buy pure butter from a satll next to them its very nice & if you make al baghrir together they will go down well with some pure honey dial az3tar .....yum yum
Maison sous has lost since the Moroccan fonder sold it to an ALgerina guy i believe ........
I will try to post Andalucia shop's detials once i confirm them .....
s
15 September 2007 14:53
add to what atlasmagic said: i buy , lebanese baklawa from Marks and spencer it tastes great in laftour
yummyyyyyyy
r
15 September 2007 15:04
a more friendlier version to stomach, the best thing to start lftour is not a date but a small glass of warm water to get blood circulation moving then start lftour
sometimes i make semoulina (is like a bread you just mix semoulina +extra virgin olive oil+ herb like oregano or thymes + salt + water you mix everything cook it in a tefal , you end up with a nice fluffy bread semoulina yeast free and very good for the stomach, goes well with harira , with honey etc , and it is not time consuming at all takes 15 minutes to make , i learn t this from my granny In love
M
15 September 2007 15:42
Thanks to all for your suggestions smiling smiley

Today i cooked my first real meal in Ramdan. Harira, moroccan peppers salad and aubergine salad (zaalouk), mince briouates and chicken tajine with olives and lemon, can't wait!!! lol
a
15 September 2007 19:02
Minniemouse

Please do not do this to us talk about food before Laftour its hard on some of us !
Enjoy your treat ....zaalouk you "pocking " my taste buds here a long time since i had it its remind me of summer i do not know why .

superbill

the shop i was talking about also stocks baklawa & libaneese bread ....
a
15 September 2007 19:03
Minniemouse

Please do not do this to us talk about food before Laftour its hard on some of us !
Enjoy your treat ....zaalouk you "pocking " my taste buds here a long time since i had it its remind me of summer i do not know why .
superbill ,the shop i was talking about also stocks baklawa & libaneese bread ....
M
15 September 2007 19:21
atlas, i'm so sorry, that was cruel from me! I'll be more careful in the future confused smiley
j
15 September 2007 23:18
Assalam,

Ramadan karim, if you miss chabakia, you should do like me, invite your mum to spend summer holidays with you and she'll make you some kilos of chabakia home made and perfectly done :-)

If you want I can sell you some ha ha ha

Jihad
M
15 September 2007 23:33
Hi Jihad, my mum came to visit me 3 months ago and brought me loads of stuff. She asked me if i wanted chebbakia as well but Ramadan seemed so far at that time so i told her not to,that was really silly from me!!sad smiley
a
16 September 2007 02:31
Guys

There is Chabakia in the shops in West London & i recall also a family in Ladbrokr Grove selling home made one i did buy it once from them a long time ago ................
M
16 September 2007 12:35
atlas, I know and will try to get some from queensway or ladbroke grove. I just need to find some time as i live really far from those aeas!smiling smiley
a
16 September 2007 21:43
Oups ! ,Sorry

The shop i mentioned is called Andalucia & located in 77 ,Bishops Bridge Road London W2 6BG
nearest tube station Byaswater ,Queensway & Royal Oak
M
16 September 2007 21:50
that's fantastic! thanks so much atlas smiling smiley
M
28 September 2007 13:52
atlasmagic
Minniemouse

sorry i thought i did say before the Farmers Markets is on every Thursday in King's street on the square where the fontain & Pret a manger is ,the Moroccan guys sell ready made food , i do also buy pure butter from a satll next to them its very nice & if you make al baghrir together they will go down well with some pure honey dial az3tar .....yum yum
Maison sous has lost since the Moroccan fonder sold it to an ALgerina guy i believe ........
I will try to post Andalucia shop's detials once i confirm them .....

I've been yesterday to the market! i can't believe i've been nearly 2 years in Hammersmith and never saw it before. it's not bad at all. Was crammed and people were queueing but i walked around the stalls even though it was a torture for my stomach as i went through the smell of the food. i'm not sure which one was the moroccan, there was a guy selling mlaoui, salads and algerian bouraks but i didn't see anything typically moroccan. One guy at the front had very nice bread and the one next to it was selling french cakes and tarts but it was too expensive £13 small cake and it didn't look that fresh. Anyway it was a great discovery and i might try the food someday after ramadan winking smiley
a
28 September 2007 14:37
Good you managed to take a walk there , i was in Paris for the day meeting ......
The Moroccan stall is by the Natwest & have a Moroccan guy serving but i believe they recruted a Pole now as i noticed a white boy last time ....catching on ...its next the first stall on line selling BBQ'd lamb ....
The algerian guy is opposite Pret a manger he was doing oly alregian stauff but i think he is doing mint tea & mlawi too as he noticed the Q on the moroccan stall........

Emission spécial MRE
2m Radio + Yabiladi.com
Join Yabiladi on Facebook